Garage – Why it is Important to Protect Your Garage With a Quality Door.
One of the largest rooms in the house is the garage. You may not consider it a room, but it is a major extension that must be taken care of for many reasons.
Making sure that it has a quality door is an important measure to protect this all-important room.
Here are some of the reasons why you should install a door for your garage:
1. Security- While you may think of it as a storage area, a place where… your car lives, but not really a part of the house, the garage is actually an extra line of defense between your family and the outside world. Think of it as a movable wall of the house. Because of this, you should choose a quality sturdy door.
2. Privacy- You don’t have to enclose this area, but if you want to protect your belongings and your privacy, it makes sense to install a door to keep prying eyes out. Whether you use it to park your car or as a storage room, you don’t want to advertise what you have. You may also want to hide the mess it has become because this room also becomes a catch-all for things that haven’t made it into the attic.
3. Increase storage/room space- Adding a door can increase your storage space by a couple hundred square feet. Now that you have the security and privacy, you can keep other valuables besides the cars in this room. You also have an additional room for social occasions. Especially when the party is outdoors but the weather doesn’t cooperate. You may not want people tracking dirt and mud through the house, but you can move the party into this room and protect people from the elements as well.
4. Energy efficiency- When it is attached to the house, a garage has a direct impact on the energy-efficiency of the rest of the house. By adding a door, it helps regulate the temperature which affects the interior temperature. Additional steps to take include insulating the door and installing weather-stripping. There are doors that are Energy-Star compliant that not only help reduce your power bills, but can also earn you a tax credit of up to $1500 if installed before December 31, 2010.
5. Weather protection- If you leave the space open, when weather is bad it is quite ineffective at protecting your cars and belongings. Water can pool in the area, dirt, debris and snow- whatever the elements bring- come right on in. It gets dirty, damaged and your belongings are at risk as well. Weather stripping and a threshold seal help increase the effectiveness of keeping out the
When you are looking for a dealer to install your new door, choose one who is experienced and trained in installation and repair. Also, find about the warranty service. Once you have a quality door for your garage, you and your family, your belongings and your home are protected.